Monday, March 10, 2014

Summer 2013 Begins! (with a bad mispronunciation)

At the school I went to finalizing middle school, 8th grade graduation was a pretty big deal. There were only 22 kids in my grade, but tears were shed, speeches were said, and I don't think my vision went back to normal until the next day because of all the flash photography. We even each had a cap and gown and the little ribbon thing at the top of the cap with the year on it (just in case anyone forgets!). It was treated as a rite of passage, and all I wanted was for it to go by fast. I was ready for summer and I didn't care about anything else. Despite that, I don't think I will ever forget that day. After the speeches had concluded we were each called up one by one to be presented with our "diplomas". It was pretty lame, but luckily I was the first one to be called up in alphabetical order. It was my queue to walk, and I went up the steps. "Now we will present our graduating class of 2013,"  The crowd went silent and all the attention was on me, the first person to accept this very prestigious piece of paper that confirmed I had survived middle school. "Sophia... caca dora". I didn't notice the laughter from the rows of people until I was halfway back to my seat, and was it a hysterical laughter. It filled the church we were graduating in and one lady was literally purple and looked like she was about to pass out. That's when I put the puzzle together. My principal had just called me Sophia GoldenPoop. He was laughing too and you could tell it was on purpose, but I guess I'll laugh about it. No less than 30 people came up to me at the reception (yes, there was a reception...) asking me if I had recognized the "hilarious joke". Whatever, eighth grade wasn't fun anyways so it didn't make that much of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment